10. It isn’t just a hospital anymore. Hospitals are increasingly part of a system or a network of health care providers. Consumers need to be aware of the unique specialized services and extent of outpatient care available through these partnerships.
9. The gray matters. An aging population requires a wider range of geriatric, social and specialized services. Make yours known.
8. Fit for everyone. Fitness is in – obesity is out. Communicating your focus on disease prevention by promoting healthy habits makes you an ally with the public in the battle to reduce waistlines and health care costs.
7. Put your best face forward. Many people view hospitals as anonymous towers of brick. Campaigns that include the faces of your caregivers – and happy patients – will humanize your message.
6. The volume of testimonials. FaceBook, Healthgrades and Vitals.com are sources for ratings and testimonials that potential consumers don’t overlook – and neither should you. Do what you can to make certain they are plentiful and positive.
5. Keep secrets secret. Privacy and security are big selling points today. Many potential patients choose a hospital based on the security of its electronic medical records. Let them know their records are safe with you – and tell them why.
4. Be convenient. In-store advertisements and health care informational kiosks bring your message to the consumer – and lead right to your front door.
3. Round up referrals. Make referring physicians aware of unique research, treatment options and procedures through direct mail, publications and video of grand rounds and other presentations to establish your facility as the obvious choice for care beyond what they can provide.
2. Reward intelligence. Consumers today go online to research symptoms, treatments, doctors – and you. Reward them with Web pages and materials that provide thorough answers to their complex questions.
1. Quality is value. Positive outcomes, industry awards and glowing patient surveys increase the public’s perception of quality – and raise consumer confidence. You do it better than any health care provider in the region. It’s time to let everyone know.